Wednesday 27 February 2013

Turning We to Me

CC image courtesy of metaphorical platypus on Flickr.
Last night, I had a bath. Now don't get me wrong, I have had a lot of baths in my time. Smelly baths, bubbly baths, romantic baths . . . Let's just say I am a bit of a bath connoisseur. But last night was different.
As I was lying in the water while my partner was putting his daughter to bed, I realized I was all alone. No cats. No kid. No partner. It was one of the first times in the past two years that I let my guard completely down and enjoyed a moment of perfect bliss.
If being a mom is hard, being a stepmom is even harder because there is a decided dislike for stepmoms in our society. We are constantly thought to be home-wreckers, husband stealers, kid stealers ... cat stealers. We constantly feel attacked, criticized, and most of all judged. If mom can do no wrong, stepmom can do no right.
Then there are the demands. There is a constant juggle between who, what, where, why. Sometimes, there seems like there is very little time to turn we to me.
Let's change that! Let's turn our focus back to ourselves. Let's remember who we are so we can shine our lights out into the world. What do you say ladies? Up for the We to Me Challenge?

No comments:

Post a Comment